Nanticoke State Hospital

A 1905 typhoid outbreak and great sickness caused by Nanticoke's water supply made members of the community realize that the city needed a hospital. With that goal in their minds, local physicians and officials of the Susquehanna Coal Company formed the Nanticoke Hospital Association. The coal company donated a plot of land; community leaders raised enough money to begin construction. By October 1909 the Nanticoke State Hospital on Washington Street was built, opened, and dedicated. Its special purpose was to care for people injured in and about the mines of Nanticoke and the surrounding area. Adding to it, by 1914 the hospital's Director of Nursing, Margaret Leech, had established a school of nursing that trained young women to care for patients.


Front side of the Nanticoke State Hospital


Back side of the Nanticoke State Hospital


Nursesí Home at the Nanticoke State Hospital


Nursesí Home at the Nanticoke State Hospital


Old postcard of the Nanticoke State Hospital


Old postcard of the Nanticoke State Hospital






Copyright 2012-2013 Berwick RailFan Photo Gallery, all rights reserved.
www.BerwickRailFan.com - BerwickRailFan@hotmail.com